Sweet potato muffins are a healthy alternative sugar loaded sweets with their natural sugars. Sweet potatoes rank highest in nutrition among all vegetables due to their dietary fibre, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup ground oatmeal
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ palm sugar (granulated)
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup gula jawa syrup (to prepare boil ¾ cup of water with 225 grams of gula jawa or jaggery)
- ½ cup soya milk
- Steam sweet potatoes, remove skin after steaming, mash and allow to cool
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease muffin tin
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add ground oatmeal.
- Mix sweet potatoes, palm sugar, oil, gula jawa syrup, soy milk and yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before easing out of the tin