Satay is one of the most well-known of Indonesian food. Here is a wonderful vegan option which tastes just as delicious as the original satay.
- 2 Blocks (220g each) Firm Tofu
For the Marinade Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 1/2 Small Onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Red Curry Paste
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Tamarind Paste
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 120ml Coconut Milk
- 83g Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Lime, squeezed
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh Lime
- Crushed Peanuts
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes either using a tofu press or by placing the tofu on a plate, with another plate on top of it and then piling some heavy stuff on top, like a heavy pot. While the tofu is pressing prepare the marinade sauce.
- Add the soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, dried basil and garlic powder to a bowl and whisk it all together.
- After the tofu is pressed, cut each block into 5 or 6 strips and then place them in the marinade sauce, using a teaspoon to put marinade sauce on top of the tofu strips as well so that there is marinade on the top and bottom of the tofu.
- Leave the tofu in the marinade sauce for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
- Place the marinated tofu carefully onto a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes, turning over at the fifteen-minute mark and then putting it back in for another 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking prepare your peanut sauce.
- Finely chop up half a small onion or quarter of a larger onion and add to a saucepan with the crushed garlic, sesame oil and red curry paste. Sauté until the onion is slightly softened. Add in the soy sauce, tamarind paste, brown sugar and coconut milk and stir in well. Then add in the peanut butter and stir until perfectly mixed and smooth. The sauce will be quite thick. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before skewering them on the satay sticks.
- Serve with the peanut sauce, fresh cilantro, fresh lime and crushed peanuts.