How to make Idli
Idli is vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and makes for one of the healthiest breakfast. This recipe is a very basic recipe which uses only four ingredients namely Urad dal, Idly rice, fenugreek seeds and Salt. Soft Idli batter using blender.
Ingredients for batter
- 1 1/4 Cups Urad Dal
- 4 Cups Idly Rice (par boiled rice)
- 1 cup thick poha
- 1 tablespoon Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon Salt
Instruction to make batter
- Soak all the ingredients except salt in lots of water. Soak the ingredients separately.
- Grind the soaked and drained fenugreek seeds along with the soaked poha. Add a cup of water and grind for 3 minutes until the seeds and poha are finely ground and have fluffed up. Remove the ground poha mixture and empty it into a big vessel.
- Now, add the drained urad dal in the blender. Add in a cup of ice water. Grind for 3 minutes till the urad dal is perfectly smooth. Remove the ground urad dal mixture and add it to the vessel.
- Now grind the drained rice in 3-4 batches. Add upto 1.5 cups of water while grinding. Remove the ground rice mixture and add it to the vessel.
- Add in the salt and mix the batter well with hands. Let the batter sit in a warm place. Allow the batter to ferment for 8-10 hours. Once fermented, mix well and store it in the refrigerator.
Steaming the Idli
- Put some water in an idly vessel and put it on medium flame.
- Oil the idli plate and gently fill the rounds with the batter.
- Put it inside the idly vessel and let it steam for 6-7 minutes.
Note: The key to good idlis – Do not allow it to over cook. It might become hard and dry. Just keep an eye and remove the idlis after 6-7 minutes. Do not remove the idlis immediately. It might stick. Leave it undisturbed for 4-5 minutes and then spoon it out.
If the idlies did not rise or were flat, the reason is a watery or runny batter. So use caution while grinding and do not add too much water while grinding.
Wash the rice and daal well multiple times to get white idli