Holi is around the corner and if you are enjoy this colorful festival playing with colors, somebody will find you and throw you into a pool of colors. Not taking enough precautions may expose you to skin problems in the coming days. Here are some important tips for skin and hair care for Holi this year.
- Nothing can beat covering maximum part of your body with full sleeved clothes and trousers but the old remedy of using mustard oil/coconut oil/ olive oil/ vaseline over your entire body on the night before and the morning of Holi does wonders in removing the colors easily post Holi.
- Apply a good waterproof sunscreen and a thick moisturizer is a must.
- Herbal and natural colors like turmeric, tea leaves, henna, marigold flowers etc can be a very good choice for playing Holi as they don’t harm your skin much.
- Drink lots and lots of water as skin tends to get dehydrated with the use of chemicals so the hydration should be replenished.
- Use of a toner before stepping out to play Holi helps to close the pores of your skin thereby reducing the absorption and the harm.
- Another tip would be to remove Gulal with dry hands rather than using water as it spreads even more after water application.
- A transparent nail polish can take care of your nails, never rub your skin while removing colours and a facial cleanser is a better choice instead of a soap.
- If any irritation develops after the use of colors, wash the area with cold water and apply calamine lotion and a good moisturizer.
- Ripe papaya can be an excellent cleanser. Mix gram flour (besan), curd, lemon juice and one tablespoonful of coconut oil to form a paste. Apply the mixture on the face and body, rub it gently on the skin and wash off with plenty of water.
- The best way is to tie your hair and reduce the damage because of colors.
- Apply leave-on conditioner or hair serum before playing holi. This protects the hair from the effects of sun exposure and dryness caused by colors.
- The scalp gets dry with the chemicals in the colours and the use of coconut oil or rosemary oil prevents it and the conditioner application post Holi takes care of it completely
- Hair should be washed with a mild shampoo and lemon juice can be added to prevent dryness and it also takes care of any infection. Don’t over shampoo and try to remove all the color in a single day. if its not going, shampoo nicely the next day.
Wishing you all a very colorful, safe and healthy Holi. Do share if this article was helpful to you in the comments below.