We bet that even meat lovers will love these easy peasy stuffed eggplants! The gooey cheese and soft filling are just perfect as a comfort meal you can have anytime you want.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and diced (or 1 cup diced canned tomatoes)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius. Prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim the stems from the eggplants, and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh from the center of each half, leaving about 2 cm shell of flesh. Dice the scooped out eggplant flesh into 0.5 cm cubes.
- Place a sauté pan over a moderate heat and add the oil. Add the onion, garlic, zucchini, black pepper, and diced eggplant; stir well. Cook until very tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato sauce, thyme, and basil, mix well until all are heated through.
- Spray the eggplant shells with nonstick cooking spray, then spoon the filling into each sell. Top each shell with Monterrey Jack and Parmesan cheeses.
- Place the stuffed eggplants in the baking sheet and bake until the eggplant and cheese is bubbly.