Vijaya Birla‘s Rasgullas ( an Indian sweet made with cottage cheese) is famous. These are perfect – soft and sweet – and they hit the spot. She very generously share her recipe and secret tips at the What’s Up Chef cooking demo and tasting session.
Ingredients for 6-8 rasgullas
I. For Cottage Cheese/Chena/Paneer:
Milk 1 liter
White vinegar (Heinz or S&W) – 3 tb sp. (45 ml)
II For Sugar Syrup:
Water 6 glasses
Sugar 1 glass
Rose Water (Gulab jal) ¼ tsp
- Boil the milk
- Add vinegar and stir slowly, put off the gas immediately
- Pour the ingredients into a muslin cloth and wash the it under the tap properly until it’s cool
- Press the Cottage Cheese gently to remove extra water until it becomes dry
- Mash/Blender the Cottage Cheese until it is soft and smooth so that it can be shaped into rounds
- Shift it to the plate and mix 2 tsp sugar with soft hands
- After mixing sugar, divide the Cottage Cheese into 8 equal parts
- Now make smooth balls and put them in boiling syrup
- Let them boil on high flame for maximum 20 minutes (open in between once or twice and sprinkle little sugar for the rasgullas to turn by themselves)
- Remove from flame and open the lid and let it cool normally
- After cooling add Rose Water and keep in refrigerator. Serve chilled.
Side by side of making Rasgullas, put 6 glasses of water and 1 glass of sugar for boiling.
For further information please contact Vijaya: +62 818 813 131