- 28 oz (800g) digestive biscuits/tea biscuits
- 1 cup (100g) nuts (walnuts/ hazelnuts) – chopped and toasted
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ½ cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120g) whip cream
- 4 oz (120g) chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, break the biscuits into small pieces
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and toast walnuts/hazelnuts for about 5 minutes, (stir frequently to toast evenly)
- Add the toasted nuts into the bowl of crushed biscuits
Prepare the chocolate syrup
- In a medium saucepan, add sugar and cocoa powder
- Stir to combine and then add water
- Add the butter and put the heat on medium
- Boil for about 7-8 minutes and stir constantly
- Put the heat off and add vanilla extract
- Leave it to cool for about 10-15 minutes
- Pour the syrup over the biscuits and buts and combine well using a large spatula.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9-inch/23cm non-stick round cake ware.
- Press well using the back of the spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before preparing the ganache.
Prepare Chocolate Ganache
- Place cream into a small sauce pan and heat until it just begins to boil.
- Pour hot cream over the chopped chocolate and leave it for a minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour ganache over the chocolate biscuit cake and refrigerate to set for about 3-4 hours before serving.
- Decorate with toasted nuts.
Do send in your feedback and comments if you do try this out
by Zareen Akbany