What you need :
- Candles (old used ones will also do) in two or more colours. Colours that have a large contrast look the best. For Christmas colours, use red, white and green.
- A clear glass container which can be an old glass or even a small jar.
- A grater capable of grating finely.
- A spoon.
- Some stiff wick… wick removed from old candles will also do provided it is waxed.
What to do :
- Grate the candle wax with the grater taking care not to mix colours.
- The finer the grating, the prettier the candle.
- If the candle is very soft, refrigerate it before grating.
- Clean the glass container.
- Place the wick in the center, gluing it down if necessary.
- Use spoon to add wax gratings.
- Pour one color in first, leveling it with the back of the spoon.
Alternate layers of different colors, packing them in with the help of the spoon till you reach the top of the container. If the candle has to be carried away, cover the top tightly with some plastic wrap or cling-film.