Diwali is the festival celebrating Laxmi, the Goddess of prosperity and wealth. It is believed that Goddess Laxmi visits everyone during Diwali and brings peace and prosperity to all. Lakshmi-Pujan is performed on after sunset in all the homes on Diwali.
Diwali Puja Vidhi
- First clean the Puja room and then Bathe each Deities of Lakshmi & Ganesh first with water, then with panchamitra / or rose water, followed by water once more. Make a Panchamitra with 5 ingredients of milk, curd, ghee (clarified butter), sugar & Honey.
- Five ghee diyas (lamps) are lit in front of the deities to drive away the shadows of evil spirits.
Make offerings of flowers, abir (red color), sindoor (vermillion), haldi (turmeric). and Light the Agarbatti (incense sticks) and lamps filled with Ghee.
- Offer Lotus and other flowers to Goddess Lakshmi. A silver coin is placed in front of the Goddess during the puja. Now perform Arti with flowers in hand.
- Now make offerings of fruit, sweet meat ( mithai), Salty snacks ( Mathis, Ghathia, Namakpare) and offer dakshina (token money), which could be given to the poor.
- In the end offer paan (betel leaves), cloves. Now pray to the deities to seek their blessings.
- After the Puja people light diyas (lamps) in their homes to usher in light, and clear the darkness from the world. Then they go out to enjoy fireworks.